Monday, May 18, 2015

The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters and me



Thank you for stopping by today to read about my experience of being a test quilter for The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters, by Sherri Lynn Wood.  Last year, I was one of the score testers.  The interesting part of this book is to get you to be creative by not providing patterns, but to inspire you to make a quilt using your creativity.

I procrastinated a little bit to start because this was out of my comfort level.  I love my rulers.   I was lucky to be in Sherri’s Round Robin Improv at the 2013 Quilt Con and learned so much.  But I will be the first to say I am not comfortable with just sewing strips without a plan, but I am learning and trying to relax. My quilt started with a lot of strips and here is what I love to call my noodles.



This quilt also used some primary colors and all solids, which I like and don't use too many brights in my quilts.  Here is my finished quilt using the String score from Sherri's book and yes, that is Sherri Lynn Wood in the picture!


It is a wonderful book with beautiful pictures.  Now you have a chance to win a copy of The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters by leaving a comment answering the following question:

Have you tried quilting without your rulers yet?

We will select a winner on May 25, 2012.  Thank you for coming by and please continue on the tour.  

May 2Sew Mama Sew – Score for Floating Squares Gallery
May 4 STC Craft – Score for Rhythmic Grid Gallery
May 4Plaid Portico – Score for Strings Gallery
May 6During Quiet Time – Test Quilter Amy Friend – GIVEAWAY through May 10
May 11Studio Notes – Test Quilter Penny Gold – GIVEAWAY through May 15
May 13Quiltville – Score for Modern Block Improv Gallery and GIVEAWAY
May 15Peppermint Pinwheels – Test Quilter Stacey Sharman
May 18Quirky Quilts – Test Quilter Kim McPeake
May 20PoppyPrintCreates – Score for Patchwork Doodle Gallery
May 22The Last Piece – Test Quilter Sara Fielke
May 25Cauchy Complete – Score for Layered Curves Gallery
May 26Diary of a Quilter – Score for Bias Strip Petals Gallery
May 28Getting Stitched on the Farm –Score for Improv Round Robin Gallery
May 29Spoonflower – Score for Showing Up Gallery
May 30Fresh Modern Quilts – Test Quilter Rossie Hutchinson

39 comments:

  1. I haven't tried to quilt without my ruler yet...I think this book could really create some fun projects and ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made an entire quilt without using rulers, but I have tried to make some blocks and do some piecing where I just used scissors or used the rotary cutter freehand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I haven't but I am ready to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I have been trying to improv and can't wait for SLW to be here in a couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been improv piecing for more than 5 years. I made a fabulous queen sized Halloween quilt using all Moda fabrics and the only time I used a ruler was to square the edges once the top was completed. Right now I am free motion machine quilting a rock t-shirt quilt top that no rulers were used except to straighten the edges of the completed top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "YES" and "NO"- because I've made blocks without a ruler...but then I square the blocks up with a ruler before joining them together into a quilt top!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to improv quilt with old blue jeans... tear strips and sew together... such subtle differences in the blues sometimes. I do square up large sections before I sew them together usually.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many years ago I took a class from Nancy Crow and we had to cut strips without rulers. It was amazing how straight we still cut (muscle memory or some such). Since then I have continued to occasionally cut without rulers and am getting much more comfortable with that method.
    quiltschon@tt.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not tried quilting without a ruler yet! Oh, maybe just a little when forming crumb blocks....lol
    ebhaloha@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't tried improv quilting yet, but I'm trying to convince myself to "step away from the ruler" in order to jump start my creativity again. SLW's book looks like the perfect starting point. rnhquilts@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have not tried piecing without my rulers. The closest I have worked so far is to sew strings which are not even strips.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I have made quilts without using rulers and I love that process. Then I forget and I go back to rulers and rules and rigidity and am unhappy. It is time for me to go back to improv! Thanks for the chance to win a copy of the book!
    jlpfeffer@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. While I've never even thought about not using rulers, I'd like to learn and experiment with the process. -- soparkaveataoldotcom

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes, that's how I started out. I still do it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haven't yet quilted without rulers, but can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  16. HELLO, yes I have many times, but rulers make the quilting process go faster!
    Thanks for sharing! msstitcher1214@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have tried quilting without rulers, but it's hard!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It takes some getting used to working without rulers, but I need to work on it some more.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love improv and have done some improv. Thanks for a chance to win a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have done a little bit without rulers, while I have been making some improv blocks. But I certainly have a big tendency to use them so it has been hard!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes! Sometimes strange, sometimes wonderful results.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes! It's liberating and lots of fun. Great inspirational book!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've tried a couple of time but like you, it is way outside of my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! You are the winner of Sherri Lynn Wood's book! We hope you will enjoy it.

      Delete
  24. I've made one quilt that included free hand curves, and one that had a background of torn strips on a fusible web, but that's the extent of my "no ruler" experience. I've been admiring all the lovely quilts made from the scores in the book and I'd love to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have made a quilt without rulers it was a challenge within a group I am in.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Haven't tried one yet, but it sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I took Sheri's round robin at the Sew Down last year and for the first time quilted without the ruler. I've been improvising ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yes, once or twice and it terrified me, but I really liked the results.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have tried and I love it, but I need to do it more often!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats on your beautiful quilt! How fun to be a tester for the book too!! I have only tried twice in a quild workshops. It was hard to put the ruler down, but I think after a few more tries I would really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Please enter me. This looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I started improve piecing recently. these quilts offer amazing ideas. slp.acp@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have not tried quilting with rulers yet...at least not beyond measuring strips and blocks. I really would enjoy this book and learn to accept the improv technique.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've done only a little without rulers.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I have never quilted without without rulers. I think it would be an interesting challenge! Thanks for offering the book.

    ReplyDelete

Make sure to include your email information. Thank you for leaving a comment.